With the rise in usage of the electric toothbrush, many people are now embracing this technology. Have you ever asked yourself, “do electric toothbrushes emit dangerous EMF?”
Just like any other electronic device that emits electromagnetic field (EMF) radiation, electric toothbrushes are no different. They emit EMF radiation that could be dangerous. This is sometimes linked to headaches experienced by individuals who have electromagnetic hypersensitivity (EHS).
If you place an electric toothbrush next to your AM radio, the electric toothbrush will interfere with the frequency of the radio. This is an indication that the toothbrush emits high amounts of EMFs.
Individuals who are sensitive to magnetic and electric frequencies may experience negative health impacts upon exposure to too much EMF radiation. Electric toothbrushes do emit high levels of EMF; therefore, they have the potential to be dangerous.
The motors that power the brushes emit electromagnetic waves. These waves vary somewhat depending on the amount of, shape, and type of metal used in the toothbrush. It may also vary depending on how powerful the toothbrush is. There are different types of electric toothbrushes on the market that you can choose from.
Because of their convenience, many people prefer electric toothbrushes. They have many benefits.
Benefits of Electric Toothbrushes
An electric toothbrush is very essential for good oral health because it helps you to:
- Remove plaque: Electric toothbrushes do a more effective job cleaning your teeth. As it vibrates, it removes plaque and gingivitis from your teeth and gums.
- Timers: Electric toothbrushes often have a built-in timer to enable you to brush your teeth for a specific amount of time. It is usually long enough to remove a significant amount of plaque from your gums and teeth. Some timers also track how long you clean each quadrant of your mouth.
- Ideal for those with limited arm or hand mobility: People suffering from arthritis, carpal tunnel and other disabilities can benefit from an electric toothbrush because it performs the small movements that may not be possible with various disabilities.
- Improve oral health: Electric toothbrushes help improve oral health because they drastically improve how well you clean your teeth. Those with orthodontic appliances benefit a lot from electric toothbrushes because of how easy they are to use.
How Electric Toothbrushes Expose You to EMF
When brushing, you hold the electric toothbrush inside your mouth multiple times a day, for a few minutes at a time. The closer the distance to the radiation emitting devices, the more radiation is being absorbed by your body. Therefore, continuous use of these electric toothbrushes close to your head and in your mouth will expose you to EMF, which could be very dangerous.
One way to reduce exposure to electromagnetic radiation is to maintain distance from the source. The more distance you maintain, the less the exposure to the EMFs.
It is impossible to brush your teeth and maintain distance at the same time. Therefore, you have to look for other options! So what are those options?
Ways to Reduce Toothbrush EMF Exposure
The main way to reduce EMF exposure from electric toothbrushes is to use battery-powered brushes that do not use sonic technology. Some of the electric toothbrushes that are available on the market are discussed below. There are other brands of electric toothbrushes that are battery operated and many that have recharging stations. Shop around to see what is available near you.
1. Use of the Quip Electric Toothbrush
If you want to use an electric toothbrush, but you are looking for a way to reduce the risk of exposure to EMFs, there is an alternative. The Quip electric toothbrush is a great option because it uses a battery to operate, so it emits fewer electromagnetic fields. This type of lightweight brush has a modern look and may even have different colors to choose from. When travelling, you don’t have to carry a charger for the brush because it uses a battery for power. You can use a regular or rechargeable battery.
The Quip operates like any other standard electric toothbrush. You can switch on the brush head whenever needed. The Quip toothbrush has a sensitive sonic vibration that enables you to remove more plaque than a manual toothbrush.
The Quip electric toothbrush has a removable head that needs to be replaced every three to four months. When using this type of toothbrush, you don’t have to worry about going out to get, or having to order, a new head every few months. The Quip company will automatically send a new head to you! It is important to note though that if you use the toothbrush when you’re sick, you need to sterilize it regularly and replace the head as quickly as possible after you are well again. Let’s look at some of the Pros and Cons that have been noted about this product.
- Unique design: Its lightweight design features a sonic vibration and a built-in timer that helps ensure you brush your teeth at least 2 minutes every morning.
- Approved by ADA: It’s approved by the ADA and is a highly recommended electric toothbrush for those with EHS.
- Charging: There’s no bulky charger and it’s travel ready.
- Settings: Different vibration settings and different types of cleaning mechanisms are available to ensure your teeth are free of plaque.
- Refills: Refills are recommended every three months, and the company will send them directly to you.
- Returns: Some clients claim they have a difficult return policy.
- Customer Service: Some customers have reported poor experiences.
- Battery: There is no battery status or feedback to show you when to replace the battery.
- Vibrations: They have light vibrations throughout the body of the toothbrush, not just the head.
- Pressure Sensor: There is no pressure sensor to alert you when you brush aggressively.
2. Sonicare Electric Toothbrush
Sonicare electric toothbrushes are a popular toothbrush among electric toothbrush users. These toothbrushes are very cheap compared to other electric toothbrushes, making people wonder whether they are reliable. One of the features of this toothbrush is that it uses sonic wave technology that vibrates 30K circles per minute. There are various models. Some use a recharging station that charges the battery in the unit, and some use a replaceable battery. Let’s look at some of the Pros and Cons that have been noted about this product.
- Motion: It uses oscillation to break up biofilm plaque and clean hard to reach places.
- Price: It is generally less expensive compared to other brands.
- Ergonomics: The large handle may be easier for some people to hold.
- Benefits to gums: This toothbrush promotes better gum health.
- Ergonomics: Big and bulky toothbrush for people with smaller hands or difficulty holding weight in their hand.
- Durability: It’s not long-lasting and you may end up replacing the brush a few times a year, so although it is cheaper initially, you may spend more money overall.
- Battery access: Some people report that it is hard to replace the battery because it is hard to open the access panel.
3. Oral B Electric Toothbrush
The Oral B electric toothbrush uses 3D cleaning technology. The brushes work by rotation-oscillation instead of vibrating thus cleaning your teeth in circles. They offer exceptional tooth cleaning at a reasonable budget. There are various models. Some use a recharging station that charges the battery in the unit, and some use a replaceable battery. Let’s look at some of the Pros and Cons that have been noted about this product.
- Technology: It removes plaque in hard to reach places using pulsation and oscillation technology.
- Benefits to gums: This toothbrush promotes better gum health.
- 3D cleaning: Has a unique 3D cleaning action that rotates to remove and sweep plaque away.
- Settings: This toothbrush has a gentle mode for sensitive teeth.
- Battery: This unit requires frequent charging due to low quality battery.
- Recharge time: Users report it takes a long time to recharge the toothbrush.
4. Manual Toothbrushes
You can switch from using a standard electric toothbrush to using a manual toothbrush. If you are more sensitive to EMFs or feel uncomfortable, nothing will give you peace of mind more than switching back to your normal manual toothbrush.
Manual toothbrushes will get the work done, though you will not enjoy some of the many benefits of an electric toothbrush, including efficient plaque removal, and the timed sequences that ensure that you are brushing long enough.
If you decide to opt for an electric toothbrush over a manual one, you will be happy to know almost any brand will help you to effectively clean your teeth. Electric toothbrushes provide you with better oral health compared to manual brushes. However, not all electric brushes are as good as others.
The best toothbrush I can recommend among the compared brands is the Quip electric toothbrush due to its ability to protect from EMF radiation, and it’s many features.
Are You Choosing Between Reducing the Risk of Exposure and Good Oral Health?
Although the electric toothbrush has been proven in some ways to be the best toothbrush for oral health, it can also put your health at risk in other ways, due to exposure to EMFs. If you have EHS, you might be wondering whether to choose convenient, efficient, oral health or reduce your exposure to EMFs. You can read more information here.
You have a few things to think about, and maybe a decision to make.
Using battery-operated electric toothbrushes can minimize the level of EMF exposure compared to electric toothbrushes that plug into the wall.
Manual toothbrushes have worked for centuries. When using a manual toothbrush, you need to do more than just brushing to ensure complete oral health. For example, in addition to brushing with a manual toothbrush, you can use antibacterial mouthwash as well as floss regularly.
If you have gum disease or other issues with your teeth, such as cavities, electric toothbrushes are highly recommended. This is because they ensure you brush your teeth vigorously and for a longer period of time. They are more effective at removing plaque, and they massage and cleanse the gums. In this case, the risk of exposure to EMFs will be low compared to the benefits to your overall oral health.
Electric toothbrushes are effective in cleaning your teeth and removing plaque. It makes brushing easier especially for those who have arthritis or other limitations to the mobility of their arms and hands.
Electric brushes have numerous brushing modes that enable you to clean your teeth and massage your gums. The brushes sometimes have a pressure sensor to let you know when you apply too much pressure on your teeth. Some even keep track of how long you spend cleaning each quadrant of your mouth.
Remember that for good oral hygiene and optimal operation of the toothbrush, you should replace the head of the electric toothbrush every three months. Electric toothbrushes use an electric motor that generates electromagnetic field (EMF) radiation which is harmful to your health. Since you can’t move away from the source of exposure, and you still want to brush your teeth, you can make choices that reduce your risk.
To reduce the risk of exposure to EMFs from your wall plug operated electric toothbrush, you may have thought about going back to your manual toothbrush, but there are other options! To get the benefit of an electric toothbrush’s cleaning features, with lower EMFs, you should choose a battery-operated electric toothbrush.